Monday, June 2, 2014

Well my friends, I have been in Kenya for one week! I am finally adjusting to the new culture, and once again falling in love with this country!
My first few days were fully of many mishaps, but the pole pole (relax, take it easy) atmosphere here is starting to set in! I am still getting used to all the attention and looks that Mzungus (foreigners) get around here, and adjusting to some language barriers.

Before you continue reading, go and give your washer, dryer, internet modem, and cell phone a hug….they are underappreciated! What a painful experience to not be able to check my Facebook every five minutes! Just kidding, but seriously Canadians you have a lot that you take for granted (myself included).   

Painting the girls nails at the Ngoingwa Children's Orphanage
 in Thika Kenya
Highlights from my week would be meeting some great people, both Kenyans and international students from all over the world! I was also able to visit the orphanage that I had worked at 3 years ago. The children are still as precious as ever! They sang and danced to welcome me, and we played the afternoon away! I am looking forward to paying them regular visits while I am here.  

My food and spirituality experiences of the week:
I am this close to becoming a vegetarian after this week! It is crazy to see how disconnected our western culture is from our food! The goat I ate for lunch still had its hooves hanging from ropes near our dinning spot, and I sat beside a live kuku (chicken) in a grocery bag on the bus today. I was talking to one local, and he thought it was disgusting how we bought meat that was packaged shipped and refrigerated in our supermarkets! This is a very valid point, we really don’t have any idea where that meat has been or how it was treated before getting to the shelf.  
Food preparation and safety here is much different than in Canada, let’s just say I am still getting used to the different standards. In comparison to Canada there is much less pre-packaged and pre-prepared foods. Every city, village, and road is cluttered with an array of fresh fruit and vegetable stands, which are very affordable! The food at the university cafeteria cost less than a dollar for a meal!   


On another note, you can’t deny that Kenyans have a strong faith. Everywhere you look there is something to do with religion. Matatus (public transport vehicles) are decaled with Bible verses, and store fronts boldly display the name of Christ. Even my cell phone provider sends me daily Bible verses! It’s definitely not hard to find a church here, as they are on every block. And if you have to work at your stand that Sunday, not to worry, there is a church sermon surely playing from a speaker in the town center. There are also Christian fellowship meetings of some sort on campus at least four times a week. And of course before and after a basketball or rugby game, the team is never to miss a group prayer. 

Overall I am enjoying life in Kenya, and am excited to learn more!   

No comments:

Post a Comment